Early Signs of Pregnancy You Should Expect
For women who have a regular monthly menstrual cycle, the earliest and most reliable sign of pregnancy is a missed period.
Use a home pregnancy test to see if you are pregnant…
Below are the early signs of pregnancy you should expect, however, every woman is different and not all women will notice all these symptoms.
If your period doesn’t arrive as expected, you may be pregnant, but there can be other reasons for a missed period, such as illness, stress and strenuous activity. Sometimes women who are pregnant have a very light period, losing only a little blood.
Feeling sick and vomiting
You may feel sick and nauseous, and you may vomit. This is commonly known as morning sickness, but it can happen at any time of the day or night. If you’re being sick all the time and can’t keep anything down, kindly contact your doctor.
Feeling very tired
It’s common to feel very tired, or even exhausted, during pregnancy, especially during the first 12 weeks or so. Hormonal changes taking place in your body at this time can make you feel tired, nauseous, emotional and upset.
Changes in your breasts
Your breasts may become larger and feel tender, just as they might do before your period. They may also tingle. The veins may be more visible, and the nipples may darken and stand out.
You may feel the need to pass urine more often than usual, including during the night. This is caused by pregnancy hormones and usually settles after a few months.
Other signs of pregnancy that you might notice are:
- An increased vaginal discharge without any soreness or irritation
- A strange taste in your mouth, which many women describe as metallic
- Changes in what you want to eat, such as craving new foods and losing interest in certain foods or drinks that you previously enjoyed, such as tea, coffee or fatty foo
- Losing interest in tobacco if you smoke
- Having a more sensitive sense of smell than usual, for example to the smell of food or cooking