Our recipe of the week is Pineapple Fried Rice which is also known as Tropical Fried Rice. Fried Rice is a very versatile meal because you can add almost anything to it and it will still end up a delectable family hit. Since rice is a favourite in Nigerian homes, it is important to have different ways to eat it while simultaneously keeping it healthy enough for the whole family.
This pineapple fried rice version is one that is conveniently loaded with bite sized pineapple chunks, just bursting with all of their their juicy sweetness. It is also super easy to whip up and it can be stores in the fridge to be eaten later without it losing it’s taste.
Also, feel free to use your favorite kind of protein – ham, chicken, or shrimp, or you can even keep it vegetarian with just the pineapple.
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 1/2 teaspoon ginger powder
- 1/4 teaspoon white pepper
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 carrots, peeled and grated
- 1/2 cup frozen corn
- 1/2 cup frozen peas
- 3 cups cooked brown rice ( or white rice)
- 2 cups diced pineapple, canned or fresh
- 1/2 cup diced ham
- 2 green onions, sliced
1. In a small bowl, whisk together soy sauce, sesame oil, ginger powder and white pepper then set it aside.
2. Heat olive oil in a large skillet or wok over medium high heat. Add garlic and onion to the skillet, and cook, stirring often, until onions have become translucent, about 3-4 minutes.
3. Stir in carrots, corn and peas, and cook, stirring constantly, until vegetables are tender, about 3-4 minutes.
4. Stir in cooked/per-boiled rice, pineapple, ham, green onions and soy sauce mixture. (Remember that you can use any protein of your choice – not necessarily ham)
5. Cook, stirring constantly, until heated through, about 2 minutes.
6. Serve immediately